Monday, December 2, 2013

14 Interview

 
Excerpt 1



ST: Check..



I: Since we're discussing using language to motivate students, did your parents specific language or wording to motivate you?

ST: my parents were very demanding growing up, but they were also very realistic. So ah, the thing they would say to motivate me the most, if i did poorly they would say that they were disappointed, not angry, but disappointed..you let me down. I can't believe you let me down. if I did well, they would give me a dollar. ah, When i was successful they would say " I am proud of you". my father would give be a dollar too. it was reinforced.

I: and so, lets' see. thank you for that. Let's move on to in your classroom. Oh. How long have you been teaching middle school science?

ST: ah 17 years. Im old..laughter from both of us

I: you have a lot of experience

ST: I do

I: and that is what we want to hear from the experienced teachers and what they do

I: as so, in your classroom specifically, to promote a positive classroom environment, can you think of specific words or phrases that you use?

ST: ah, I think the best way, I think we are talking about repore really

I: hm.mmm

ST: kids need to know that you care and that you treat them like family. That they are an extension of your family, but they know there are boundaries.

I: yes

ST: but there is respect especially with middle school boys is very important. They don’t want you to treat them with respect. I try not to back them into a corner. So many times a teacher will start blasting a kid, but didn’t give ‘em an out. Their only out is to keep face with their friends, so they are yelling back at you and you ultimately you ruin the relationship with you and the student.  I think care is the biggest word. Ah, they know who cares for them and who is putting on the biggest act. They know.

I: I’m glad you mentioned boys, because I want to ask if gender plays a role on how you motivate students. Is it different for boys than it is for girls?

ST: not so much. Ah, you know you are gonna see a lot more tears from the girls at this age. Ah I think that they struggle with the burden of being perfect all the time.

I: hmmmm

ST: The middle school day is a lot harder for the girls.

I: okay

ST: social issues are a lot different. Boys are like when you’re coming thru it is a right of passage, with the boys you can be a lot tougher, but there is a lot more on a girl plate. And im not trying to sound gender bias

I:ok

St: but the social issues are much heavier on the girls

I: do you find that grade level has any impact

ST: yes,on the way you treat kids?

I: hm hmmm

ST: right now 6th graders, you almost treat them like babies. The 8th graders are almost ready for high school, but a little more mature about topics you can discuss and comfort in working in groups, where 7th graders are caught in that crossfire, but the 8th graders feel like you can talk to them like an adult.

I: you mentioned that 8th graders you can “speak to them like an adult”. What is an example of “speaking to them like an adult to motivate them?:

St: I think they understand that  you can say to them that they are at the crossroads, and the windows are opening and you can create opportunities for yourself, but this is the time when the windows can start closing and the dreams that you had like ownig a sports car or  going to a big name school or play football, the windows of opportunity may start closing now, and if you decide to go to school you only have 1 or 2 options as opposed to and I think that they are starting to understand that.

I: so, you have been teaching middle school kids for 17 years. That’s a long time

St: yep

I: do you think that there has been a change in the way that you help or motivate kids over the years?

St: uhh

I: do you think that motivating kids is the same?

St: uh,,education itself has changed

I: hmmm?

St: drastically, it has really affected what how are producing in kids

I: hmmm

ST: its not always positive

I: hmm?

ST: people are making decisions on the kids behalf that aren’t even in the field. You’re getting the same kids but different parents

I: oh?

St: they are very anti education establishment as opposed to the ns that you need to support you

St inaudible (interview is during class time, teacher is very approachable and students needed his assistance on project)

I: thanks ok..you help them and youre helping me..i appreciate it..jus t a couple more questions. Can you tell me about a time when had to use different strategies to motivate a student?

 

ST: I think it happens every day. all kids learn differently it’s a matter of you using different strategies. When you’re in the classroom I you know I’m more of an entertainer. you know it’s trial and error

I: I meant to ask you earlier how many students do you have this year

ST: it all my classes hundred and 40 students

I: oh my goodness that’s a lot.

I: hmmm



ST: yeah

I: yesterday when you were talking to the class this eighth grade class about a quiz they had just taken

ST Yep

I: and you usedl the phrase” I’m here for you”

ST: what did I say?

I: yes you said” I’m here for you”

ST: oh yeah

I: can you elaborate a little bit for me on what you meant to the class?

ST: there’s a lot of stress and fear

I: fear

ST: fear of their parents fear of not doing well test anxiety not reach and what they think is their potential. Ah. Studying so much that they didn’t get the great that they want

I: Hmm

ST: I let them know that that I truly understand what they’re going through they didn’t get what they wanted the test should represent them and what they know not a score. And if they make a good case for themselves then we can do something about it

I: ( iddnt ask to teacher to elaborate…but I know that the teacher will allow retest, or negotiate grade)

I: did you have a teacher that motivated you?

ST: I did my eighth grade science teacher. He’s still here in Maplewood middle

I: oh,ok can you remember what he said to motivate you,? a way to

St: yet he was my guy he was. He was entertaining he was intellectual. He had good for advice.

I: have you read any books on creating a positive class and motivating?

ST: a lot of books.  I did I don’t think there is much you could learn about motivating students in a book it happens in the classroom . My philosophy came from substituting you know when you have to be in the class as an intern when you’re a sub and the teachers there they go to behave one way, but when the teacher is not there they going to behave another way. When you’re a substitute and you can handle a class especially the bad ones

I: (I’m laughing)

ST: and your teachers not back the next day and the next day that’s really when you learn

I: okay. Have you attended any workshops?

ST: I used to attend workshops but they are law regulated and new standards

I: HM

ST (in audible)

I: are there any questions that you want to ask or you want to add something that maybe I hadn’t discussed earlier?

ST: do you sure you want to be a teacher?

I: ( I’m laughing)

ST: the profession has changed

I: (Im laughing) all right now. I think that’s a good place to end. Thank you so much for talking with me.


Excerpt two: :

I: I have a follow-up question for you. Do you think you have been effective in creating a positive classroom environment and motivating students?

ST: ah. Over the last few years I have not felt very effective. With all the new guidelines. Regulations that they want us to follow. Feel like we’re putting kids on a factory line where being directed at how to assemble them so you’re getting the same model of production with each kid. Instead of treating the kids as if they’re different, but when you look around this room we used to pride ourselves on diversity but, we’re still getting the top kids with the top kids get and were giving the bottom kids with the bottom kids get the parents is still getting what they want in terms of what they think is right for their kid there isn’t much collaboration going on with the teachers and the administrators. I was taught that that’s a local thing

I: hmmm

ST: when talking with my peers in education it seems to be a top-down approach. like I said it’s becoming more of a business and how we manage our kids

I: hmm

ST: for example special ed I think they’re pushing more kids in to include them in the class

I: hmm

ST: but they don’t have the skills to survive

ST instead of giving them the skills to survive, for the 50 minutes that I have with them every day of the week they can be working on skills to help them in the future, instead of giving them things to  understand something that is a little more in advance for them, and in education they’re never going to use

I: Hm.m

ST: I’m not saying all special kid should be excluded but I think there should be other methods or other means class is where they (district) can spend their money on. It’s as if each kid has a dollar value on your head and how much the district is willing to spend for teachers to meet their needs and even though it can be IEP were still meeting it with the bare minimum and its not giving everyone the opportunity to learn. where in the past (inaudible)

I: are you in favor then of inclusion classes?

ST: yeah I’m in favor of them. I think too many teachers think inclusion is hanging out with the (in audible) and there is a lead teacher and the (inaudible) I like the co teacher approach

I: what type of programs do you think would benefit the students if for example if there in a

ST: I think to give them more of the basic skills that they need

I: and spend more time on that

ST: and they  develop classes for that like the gifted and talented classes

I: yep

ST: we spend the money on gifted and talented classes because we need to meet their needs but what about the kids that are really struggling with the money being spent for them and that’s my issue. Why are we always looking at pushing kids to reach to new heights but what about the kids that struggle they are really missing out

I: they are really missing out

ST we’re not directing them in the right direction for their needs. not everyone needs to go to college

I: and hmm. I agree

ST: for some students they need skills to survive. they need survival skills.

I: absolutely

ST many kids that don’t college is making more money than all of us

I: oh yeah

ST: so what’s the big push for all kids to go to college that that’s my issue give them what they need for what they’re interested in as opposed to what we think

I: yes

ST: that’s what the district should embody the district instead of pushing their beliefs on everyone

I: so you think education should be on a student by student basis? And not just what the curriculum is?

ST: I think everyone should be included in the curriculum and then it should be modified a tailored for the individual student

I: hmm

ST: and I say this because the students like the special kids that are struggling they don’t meet the vision of the school.but really were not meeting their vision. they would feel more successful and interested in school if we were giving them something that they were interested in we should bring back those programs like economics and autoshop

I: since you mentioned that I was thinking about I was thinking about the cooking classes and sewing classes

ST: (inaudible) those on career oriented classes that can make kids feel confident and motivate them to work hard

I: hmm..hmm

ST: now now my father is a carpenter he didwood shop but again I can’t use an meter stick if you give me a ruler or meter stick I have no idea what I’m doing, where he can do all that, but I’m the one with the Masters degree. you know he’s better these things then I am and vice versa. And I feel like to set them up for success with (in audible) and again it all comes down to money

I: hm hm

ST: common core

I: now New Jersey has accepted however New York is struggling to decide if they want to

ST: and again in order to get the race to the top money you got adopt the common core

I: sound like another research question for me

ST: yeah

I: ( I’m laughing) I thank you so much. is there anything else you want to add?

ST: I think you should get in A in your class

I: I’m trying to get an A, but I will let Dr. Chandler know thank you


No comments:

Post a Comment